Saturday, March 03, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie (Dairy, Egg, Gluten and Sugar Free)

On a cold winter day there is nothing like some comfort food.  This pot pie is a real hearty meal that I am sure you will enjoy.  Since I am not great at making pie crusts, I made it with a crumble topping.  I believe you could roll out or create this topping into a regular pie crust if you prefer.
Update:  I have also made this recipe by putting all the filling ingredients into a crock pot for 6 hours.  Once it is ready put it in an an oven safe dish, add the topping and bake for 30 minutes.

Ingredients for Filling (Serves 4-6)
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 diced carrots
  • 2 diced celery stalks
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup diced mushrooms (I used crimini)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or herbamare
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
  • 3 cups cooked chicken
  • 2 cups chicken broth (see below)
  • 1/4 cup potato, arrowroot or tapioca starch or 2 tablespoons quick cook tapioca 
  • 1/2 cup milk (if using a starch, omit if using quick cook tapioca)

Ingredients for Topping
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1/2 cup chickpea flour
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil or earth balance
  • 1/4 cup water or as needed to make dough stick



Directions
  1. In a large pot or Dutch oven with oil sauté onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, carrots and spices for about 10 minutes.  They only need to soften a little as they will cook further in the oven.
  2. Stir in peas and chicken broth.  Cook till boiling.
  3. Preheat oven to 375F.
  4. In a small saucepan heat starch and milk while stirring constantly.
  5. Add milk to chicken mixture and stir to combine.  Spoon into a large 2 litre baking dish.
  6. In a medium size bowl, combine all ingredients for the crust and mix until crumbly.
  7. Using your hands, sprinkle dough on top of chicken mixture.
  8. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.

Homemade Chicken Broth
I am always leery about most chicken broths since I am never quite sure if it contains MSG.  I prefer to make my own so I know exactly what is in it.  While making this pie I used chicken breasts with the bones attached.  I cut off the bones and placed them in a small pot to boil while I prepared the rest of the recipe.  I added some extra coriander, parsley, oregano, thyme, sea salt or herbamare and pepper.  Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat until needed. 

1 comment:

  1. What setting on crock pot? Low or High?

    ReplyDelete