- 1 medium squash (I used butternut) peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/8ths
- 1 bulb of garlic or 3 cloves
- olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-6 large leaves of kale
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds*
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss squash, garlic and onion into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to fully coat.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Cook lentils in a pot with two bay leaves. Add enough water to cover plus 3 cm. Cook just until cooked. (12-15 minutes.) Drain and set aside.
- Chop cleaned kale into shredded thin pieces.
- Once garlic, squash and onion have been roasted until soft remove and set aside.
- Puree dressing until smooth using 3 cloves roasted garlic.
- Add any remaining garlic, onions and squash into a bowl. Add cooked lentils and roasted sunflower seeds.
- Pour dressing over top, season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
* to roast sunflower seeds simply place in a hot pan at a medium heat and cook stirring frequently for about 3-5 minutes