Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 2 large bunches of finally chopped of kale, stems removed (or see below)
- 6-7 peeled and cut potatoes into quarters (I often use a combination or white and sweet potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon earth balance
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard (ensure it is gluten, dairy free)
- Dill pickles (optional)
- 4 sausages (optional and check ingredients)
- Place cut potatoes in a large pot, add cut kale on top of the potatoes and then place the sausage on top if using. Add water to cover potatoes and salt.
- Bring to a boil and check to make sure there is still enough water so potatoes don't cook dry.
- Continue to cook approximately 30 minutes until potatoes are soft and sausage is cooked. Ensure that there is till enough water.
- Drain and reserve water.
- Remove sausages and mash together the potatoes, kale, mustard, milk and earth balance. If you need extra liquid for mashing add some of the reserved water.
- Serve with sausage on top and if you prefer some pickles on the side.
It is hard to make this dish look really pretty but it is really good.
* Kale can be frozen ahead of time. This is actually an easier way to break the kale down into smaller pieces by crushing it as soon as it comes out of the freezer. The frozen kale will break down into really nice small pieces.