- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 small diced potatoes
- 3 diced carrots
- 3 diced stalks of celery
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (see below if using dried peas)
- 3-4 cups water (depending on taste and sizes of vegetables)
- In a large pot heat oil and cook onions until clear and soft. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add all vegetables and spices. Cook to coat for 2-3 minutes
- Add water and chickpeas. Let cook until vegetables are soft (15-20 minutes)
We enjoy this stew with some Irish Soda Bread (see recipes) on the side for dipping.
Soaking and Cooking Beans or Peas
*I generally cook extra beans and freeze the remaining. The method below will create approximately 4-5 cups of beans.
Option 1-soaking then boiling (more environmental, slower)
- In a large bowl add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans. Add 6 cups fresh cold water to cleaned beans.
- Let soak for 6-8 hours on counter.
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.
Option 2- boiling then boiling again (uses more electricity, quicker)
- In a large pot add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans.
- Add 7 cups fresh water to cleaned pot and bring to a boil, turn off and let sit for 1 hour
- Rinse beans again and add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.