- 2 1/2 cups soaked and cooked garbonza beans (see below for soaking and cooking tips)
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup blended smooth prunes * (use another 1/2 water + 1/2 cup prunes and replace the honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure gluten free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9 inch round cake pan. I used a spring form pan which I felt worked very well.
- With a hand blender or stand up blender, mix beans, eggs maple syrup and eggs until very smooth.
- Add prunes, baking powder and vanilla and blend until completely mixed.
- Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
*soak prunes in 1/2 cup water overnight or boil for 5 minutes then blend
Soaking and Cooking Beans
*I generally cook extra beans and freeze the remaining. The method below will create approximately 4-5 cups of beans.
Option 1-soaking then boiling (more environmental, slower)
- In a large bowl add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans. Add 6 cups fresh cold water to cleaned beans.
- Let soak for 6-8 hours on counter.
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.
- In a large pot add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans.
- Add 7 cups fresh water to cleaned pot and bring to a boil, turn off and let sit for 1 hour
- Rinse beans again and add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.