There are a few key steps to making mayonnaise. The egg must be at ROOM TEMPERATURE and you have to poor the oil VERY SLOWLY. Although it takes some patience to make, it will be worth it as you will be left with a healthier alternative to the store bought variety. I have tried making this recipe with other oils but personally haven't found another variation that I like.
Note: This recipe uses a raw organic egg. If you don't prefer to eat raw eggs you can apparently buy pasteurized eggs.
Ingredients (makes approximately 1 cup)
- 1 organic, free range egg (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl combine egg, salt, cayenne, mustard powder and lemon juice.
- Add egg mixture to blender.
- Turn blender on to a medium speed and very slowly add sunflower oil. Either use a dropper or ensure your pouring method uses a very thin stream of oil. This is crucial or the mayonnaise will not thicken. The emulsion will break if too much oil is added at one time and you will end up with a runny sauce...I have already had this happen :(
- Once you have added the sunflower oil, use the same method to add the olive oil.
- If done correctly you will end up with a very tasty thick mayonnaise.