Ingredients (makes approximately 9 biscuits)
- 1 1/2 cup soaked and cooked navy beans (for soaking and cooking see below)
- 1 mashed banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax or chia seeds*
- 1/4 almond milk or alternative non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey, agave or any natural sweeteners
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking sheet.
- Purée beans, banana, milk, apple cider vinegar, ground flax, honey and oil.
- In a separate bowl combine all remaining ingredients.
- Add puréed mixture to dry and stir just till combined.
- Dropped approximately 1/3 cup size mounds onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes.
*you could substitute a blended egg and omit the 1/4 cup milk
Soaking and Cooking Beans
*I generally cook extra beans and freeze the remaining. The method below will create approximately 4-5 cups of beans.
Option 1-soaking then boiling (more environmental, slower)
- In a large bowl add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans. Add 6 cups fresh cold water to cleaned beans.
- Let soak for 6-8 hours on counter.
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.
- In a large pot add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans.
- Add 7 cups fresh water to cleaned pot and bring to a boil, turn off and let sit for 1 hour
- Rinse beans again and add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.