- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 roasted squash, see steps 1-2
- 1 apple peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond, coconut or rice milk *
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Heat oven to 400F degrees
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place with cut side up in a shallow dish. Bake 1 hour.
- In a large pan, heat oil in a pan and fry onion for 3-5 minutes until soft. Add in garlic for 1 minute.
- Add squash, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to coat and cook for 3-5 minutes on low-medium.
- Add water, salt and pepper. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Purée and add milk. Heat if needed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.
* milk can be substituted for more water if preferred
I used a Butternut squash but it will also taste great with Acorn, Delicata, Hubbard, Buttercup or Kabocha.
I served the soup with my Tomato Flax, Crackers.