Ingredients (serves 6-8 people)
- 7 cups soaked and cooked navy beans (see below for cooking and soaking methods)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cup puréed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl mix onion, tomato purée, maple syrup, molasses, salt and pepper.
- In a large pot mix cooked beans and add the sauce.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours. Uncover and bake for another 2 hours or until desired consistency. Stir frequently. You may need to increase liquid/sauce depending on how long beans were pre-soaked and cooked.
Soaking and Cooking Beans
*I generally cook extra beans and freeze the remaining. The method below will create approximately 4-5 cups of beans.
Option 1-soaking then boiling (more environmental, slower)
- In a large bowl add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans. Add 6 cups fresh cold water to cleaned beans.
- Let soak for 6-8 hours on counter.
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.
- In a large pot add 2 cups dry beans, rinse with water and remove any poor looking beans.
- Add 7 cups fresh water to cleaned pot and bring to a boil, turn off and let sit for 1 hour
- Rinse beans again and add 6 cups fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil. Tilting the lid a little let the beans simmer for 1 -2 hours depending on the bean.