Friday, December 30, 2011

Peroxide for Produce

   While visiting with my parents this past weekend, I was given a great tip by their organic farming friends about cleaning produce.  A simple Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) will help remove fungus, pathogens and kill bacteria.  You can buy a 3% hydrogen peroxide, found in grocery and drug stores.  Add 1/8 of a cup with 2 litres of water and soak for 20 minutes.  Once it is finished soaking rinse thoroughly with clean water.  There is also apparently a 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide available, however I have not yet learned the best way to purchase it.  
    Hydrogen Peroxide can also be used to clean your home, replacing many of those harsh chemicals found in commercial cleaners.  Simply place in a spray bottle for disinfecting counters, appliances etc.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new endeavor Irene. You've always been such a wonderful and inspiring mother. I'm thrilled to be able to follow along more closely with your adventures as a cook, and as a mom.

    Cheers,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip! I was using a vinegar rinse but it left my tomatoes tasting funky so a friend directed me here. Great site! Off to explore further

    ReplyDelete