- 3/4 cup French green lentils
- 3/4 cup pearl barley rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 diced green onions or chives
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
* I like "candying" the pumpkin seeds by heating them up a frying pan with 2 teaspoons of maple syrup for 2 minutes.
- Fill a medium pot with 6 cups of water and add lentils, barley and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until both are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Remove bay leaf.
- In a medium bowl stir in remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add cooked lentils and barley and stir again to fully mix. Serve warm or cold