Although it can be made with the whole grains as in this recipe, I do prefer grinding the millet in the blender to make it into a powder. The millet powder cooks much quicker and produces a creamier finish.
- 1 cup ground millet
- 4 cups liquid (water and/or non dairy milk)*
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup ground pumpkin seeds or shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, grass fed butter or ghee
- maple syrup for serving if desired
*I use 1/2 cup coconut cream and the rest water
- Add millet, water/milk, salt, flax, dates, pumpkin seeds/coconut into a pot and stir.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a medium.
- Cook while stirring frequently for about 10 minutes or until millet is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and coconut oil.
- Stir and let sit with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Puree if you want the dates completely pureed.
- Serve with maple syrup if desired.