Saturday, September 03, 2016

Why Not Have a Cup of Golden Milk (Dairy Free Version)

What is Golden Milk?
I have recently learned about Golden Milk.  It actually isn't a milk on its own but uses a milk and a variety of spices.  The main spice, being turmeric.  Turmeric, a spice used in many Indian or curry dishes and is one of the most powerful herbs around.  Turmeric contains an active ingredient called curcumin which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.  Curcumin is also able to lower blood sugar levels, enhance wound healing, suppress tumour growth and protect against brain disorders.

So a drink with the main flavour of turmeric...I was skeptical.  I am not sure I am going to like this, despite the fact that I love the spice in my Indian recipes.  After personalizing a recipe I found, I have to say I really liked it as a drink as well.  I could definitely see myself drinking this more often, especially as the cooler weather approaches.
Here is my version of golden milk.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup coconut milk or cashew milk
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper 
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup (my favourite), stevia or honey to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
  • pinch sea salt

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients into a pot.  Heat until milk bubbles.  Blend with a hand blender or blender.
  2. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment