Thursday, July 23, 2015

Raw Beet Salad with Mint and Pear (Gluten Free)

My youngest and I have planted a few too many beets this year.  They have really taken off and many are ready for harvest. I am not sure what I am going to do with them all as I think I do prefer cooked beet greens to actual cooked beetroot.  In the summer however, this raw beetroot salad is definitely the way to go, it is delicious.  My family and I discovered this recipe a few summers ago.  I can take zero credit for, but rather give all credit to Jamie Oliver.  I highly recommend it, even my girls enjoy it.

Ingredients
Salad:

  • 4 medium sized beets, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces (a mandolin is helpful here)
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
  • 1/3 cup crumbled goat, sheep or cow feta cheese (optional, but tasty)
  • 1-2 ripe pears cut into matchstick pieces*
Dressing:
  • 1 lemon juiced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • fresh black pepper to taste
  • 1-2 drops stevia (optional)
My youngest pulling up some of her beets


Directions
  1. In a medium size bowl combine beets, mint, feta and pear (see note about pears)
  2. In a small bowl combine all dressing ingredients and stir to fully mix.  
  3. Pour dressing over salad and serve or let sit 1-2 hours in the fridge to allow flavours to combine.
*if making this salad ahead (more than 2-3 hours) I leave the pears out until close to serving, as they can get kind of mushy if left too long in the dressing




1 comment:

  1. Amazing benefits get to know here about raw beet salad with mint and pear it really helps to keep us healthy and it will adds taste to your food. Thanks for such a nice blog .

    ReplyDelete