I have made this recipe about five times since I first discovered it in December. It is so delicious and a definite family favourite. The added cheese is not needed, but I will admit I have a little weakness for cheese in my tomato soup. This recipe is easy to make and very filling. With a lot of lettuce and cilantro on top it definitely eats like a complete meal.
I normally add a lot more lettuce on top of my soup
but didn't want it to take away from the soup.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 cups tomato purée
- 3 cups broth, chicken, beef, or vegetable
- 1 1/2 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro + extra
- shredded cheese (optional)
- shredded lettuce or spinach
- In a large pot over add olive oil and onion. Fry for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and ground beef.
- Stir occasionally, breaking up the beef, and cook until the meat is no longer pink, and the onions are tender.
- Add the tomato puree and increase the heat to medium.
- In a blender add the broth, cashews, tomato paste, and salt and puree until completely smooth.
- Pour the puree into the pot, and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.
- Add shredded cheese, lettuce and cilantro on top.