So I did a bit of math today for you so you can see how much you actually are saving.
With this recipe I made approximately 7.25 L of laundry soap which coast me about less than $2.00 to make. I use about 1/4 cup of detergent per load which gives me about 116 loads at less than 2 cents per load! If I compare this to what I was buying before I was spending about per load.
- 1/2 cup borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda
- 1/2 cup grated natural soap bar (I use a homemade bar or one by Soap Works)
- 30-40 drops pure essential oil (lemon, lavender, orange, flower blends etc.)
- 1 litre plus 8 litres of hot water
- In a medium size pot add borax, washing soda, shaved soap and 1 litre of water.
- Heat to a medium heat and allow soap shavings to completely dissolve.
- Add soap mixture to a large bucket and then add the 8 litres of hot water.
- Let soap sit until completely cool and stir a couple times if possible.
- Once cooled whisk until fully combined. I used my hand blender to ensure everything was combined.
- Store in sealed containers. I used about 1/4 cup per load and shake the bottle just before use.