Sunday, November 10, 2013

No Bake Chocolate Bars (Dairy, Gluten, Grain, Nut, Refined Sugar and Egg Free)

I always love a good chocolaty treat.  Instead of using nuts I put in some seeds instead so they will be school safe.  I prefer to keep these in the fridge to they stay nice and hard.  These make a great snack as they also provide some protein for energy.
 Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup if vegan
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup raw cocao or cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds

Directions
  1. Grease a 8x8 dish
  2. In a medium size sauce pan add oil, honey and cocoa.
  3. Bring to a boil while stirring frequently.  Allow sauce to boil for one minute.
  4. Remove from heat.  Add all remaining ingredients.
  5. Pour into greased dish.  Allow to cool on counter and them place in fridge to harden.
  6. Cut into squares and store in a closed container in fridge or freezer.




5 comments:

  1. I've made these twice now-not bad. I can see this recipe having a lot of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it be possible to make this with unsweetened applesauce instead of honey or agave? I'm currently on an elimination diet so it's natural-only sweeteners for me right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most likely could it would be quite bitter due to the cocao. My only fear is the honey might add a little to the adhesive properties.
      Are you aloud dates...perhaps half dates/half applesauce. I should try this sometimes. If you do, let me know how it works out.

      Delete
  3. Every time I want to introduce healthy eating to a family I make this square. No matter who I make it for (even sugar addicts) it is always the biggest hit!!!
    This is an awesome recipe!!!
    Thankiso so much for all the work you do. I can't thankyou enough for this fabulous recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much. I often make these for guests who eat more sugar that we choose to eat and I agree it is always a hit!

    ReplyDelete