Note: If using white quinoa you may need omit the milk. The red quinoa is more dry than the white so it requires a little more liquid.
Ingredients (makes 20 mini muffins and 14-15 large muffins)
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup palm sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk milk
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cook quinoa (approximately 3/4 cup dry)*
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare muffin cups/tray.
- In a large bowl combine cocoa, palm sugar, starch, baking soda, psyllium and salt.
- In a blender combine eggs, milk, oils, vanilla and quinoa in that order and puree until very smooth.
- Pour liquid into dry bowl. Using a wooden spoon, stir just until combined.
- Fill cups until 3/4 way full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for large cupcakes and 12-15 minutes for mini cupcakes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
They are very light and yummy!
* to cook quinoa soak it for 1-2 minutes to remove the saponin residue which causes the bitter taste and then cook with double the amount of water to quinoa. Cook for approximately 20 minutes on a medium to low heat.