Apparently Nutella has been in some "hot water" for claiming to be healthy. I am pretty sure just reading the ingredients could tell most people that this is not considered healthy. Its first ingredient is sugar and not hazelnuts. Hmm
Anyway I decided to make my own as I do love this treat but have refused to buy it. I does require some time but really is worth it. Yum. So far I haven't used it for anything but eating by the spoonful and making brownies. Not sure if I will any left for anything else.
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup honey (or other natural sweeteners)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk -I used coconut milk (may need more depending on desired consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roast hazelnuts for 12-15 minutes watching to make sure they don't burn.
3. Place hazelnuts in a tea towel and rub together trying to remove some of their bitter coating. (I didn't remove very much and it still tasted great.)
4. Place hazelnuts and remaining ingredients in a blender and grind until smooth. This may take a long time depending on your blender. It took mine 13-15 minutes.