Friday, November 23, 2012

Onion Soup (Dairy, Gluten and MSG Free)

I have always loved onion soup, but have never attempted to make my own. I was intimidated as I know most onion soups have MSG from the broth to enhance their flavour. However, it is cold and runny nose season and onions have such great immune boosting properties I thought I would give it a try.

In my opinion, onions should be a super food as they have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.   This vegetable also has strong antioxidants which help fight off cancer.  On one final note, as you may have learned in some my earlier posts; How Healthy Is It? or Pesticides, Produce and Problems, onions are very low in pesticides.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cups broth* (I used combination of organic vegetable and home-made chicken broth)
  • 4 sliced onions or 4 cups (I used red onions)
  • 1/2 cup red wine (use more broth for strict GAPS OR Paleo diet)
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 drops liquid stevia
  • Daiya cheese (optional)
Directions
  1. In a large pot fry onions and oil for 5-10 minutes until onions are soft.
  2. Place all remaining ingredients (except cheese) in into the pot.  
  3. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 50 minutes.
  4. I added some Daiya cheese to the girls soup bowls and broiled on high for 3-4 minutes.



* Do check your broth ingredients for MSG and its hidden forms



No comments:

Post a Comment