Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pear Clafoutis (Dairy, Gluten/Grain and Sugar Free)

I just discovered this delicious French dessert or breakfast.  Clafoutis or Clafouti, in some Anglophone countries is generally made with cherries and can be served warm or cold.  I had some ripe pears so I made it with those instead.  Usually Clafoutis is made with cream and some wheat flour, I decided to try it with ground cashews and coconut milk. The ground cashews did make it nice and creamy so I believe an almond milk might work as well instead of the coconut milk.  I didn't add any sweetener as the combination of the ripe pears and ground cashews made it plenty sweet.  For this dish I used my cast iron frying pan but any oven safe dish should work.

This recipe tastes great as an apple clafoutis as well.

I will definitely be making this more often.  It was delicious and very filling!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or grapeseed oil
  • 2-3 sliced ripe pears
  • 3/4 cup ground unsalted, raw cashews
  • 1 cup coconut milk or perhaps another non dairy milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or gluten free vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Grease 8x8 dish with 1/2 tablespoon oil or use oven safe skillet.
  3. Line sliced pears in a single layer on bottom of dish or skillet.
  4. Combine all other ingredients and blend or mix until smooth.
  5. Poor over pears.
  6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown on top.



4 comments:

  1. I am SO making this. Sounds very yummy! Love the new blog photo by the way, really well done and super eye-catching!

    You're so talented Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just came across your website. Just wondering where you get your vanilla powder? I have never heard of it. By gluten-free vanilla do you mean gluten-free vanilla extract? Thanks and look forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! as I am severely lactose intolerant and also avoid sugar, I really enjoyed this recipe.

    ReplyDelete