This recipe actually comes from my mom. She has been making stewed rhubarb for years but with refined white sugar. Since my dad had cancer, they have dramatically been reducing their sugar intake. This is her new and revised recipe and I did just add the vanilla option. We like to eat it as a snack, dessert or as a side dish.
- 4 cups washed and chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 drops liquid stevia
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey syrup (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla (optional)
- In a medium size pot combine all ingredients.
- On medium to low heat cook rhubarb until it is soft and stringy, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold and keep in a sealed container in the fridge or freeze.