My little niece is coming next week so I thought I would come up with some mini muffins that would be safe and appropriate for her to eat. These muffins are great for little ones as they are dairy, grain and egg free. The apple sauce works well as a light sweetener if you prefer. I look forward to creating these with different fruits as well.
Update: I have recently tweaked this recipe I think for the better but do let me know. (August 2012)
Ingredients (makes 24-36 mini muffins)
- 1 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or grapeseed oil
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer, or 1 flax or chia egg
- 1/2 cup apple sauce or other natural sweeteners
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease or line muffin cups, I used mini muffin cups.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients)
- Purée bananas, vanilla, oil, egg replacer, apple sauce and add to the dry ingredients.
- Gently stir just until combined.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes for large muffins and 12-15 for mini muffins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.