- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Oil to cover the bottom of a small pan
- 1/4 cup earth balance spread or coconut oil (do not use oil as it doesn't harden when cooled)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or other natural sweeteners
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch, corn starch or potato starch
- Preheat oven to 250F and grease cookie sheet or 9x13 pan.
- Make a large bowl of popcorn (see below for stove top instructions.)
- In a small dish mix milk and starch and stir to combine.
- In a small pan on low to medium heat combine all ingredients. While stirring constantly, heat until thick.
- While still hot, pour sauce over popcorn and stir until all popcorn is covered.
- Place popcorn on prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes stirring every 10 minutes to break popcorn apart.
Want a simpler, healthier and cheaper way to make popcorn?
- Poor enough olive oil or grapeseed oil into a pan until the bottom is covered. Add three kernels to the pot and set to medium heat with the lid on top.
- Once kernels have begun popping add more kernels (1/4-1/2 cup) and set lid ajar so only a little heat can escape.
- Shake pan periodically and wait until kernels begin to pop. Once they have slowed down, remove from heat and let the remaining kernels pop.